Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Busy during the holidays... and new books!

I haven't been very good at keeping the blog up to date recently... afterall, it is the christmas holiday!!  I'm overseas at the moment, and I've been planning to upload a few videos I took.... one of them will be included in my next post:  Christmas Lights show at the "Pyramids" in Wafi City, Dubai!  I've tried to insert the video into the post but it takes sooo long to load, so I've decided to wait until I get back home to do that.  Or I might upload it onto you tube and embed it...

In other news, I bought a couple of books... one is the sequel to the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.  It's called The Lost Symbol, and I'm looking forward to reading it!  If you're interested in mystery fiction novels, I highly recommend these books, as well as Angels and Demons.




thelostsymbol.jpg


For those interested in art, I also purchased a "Masterstrokes" book about Pastels by Hazel Harrison .  It describes many techniques artists can use when using any kind of pastel medium, as well as examples of reproduced world-famous artwork which illustrate the secret behind these techniques and composition.   It's great for beginners, as well as artists with a little more experience who are looking to try different tehniques, surfaces for pastel work, and gain more information about certain artists' methods such as Degas, Van Gogh, and Turner.   I'm not sure I would use this book alone if I were starting out with Pastels, but it is a good complementary 'course'.

No comments: